Hot Time In The City (or Country) — Tips For Keeping Your Cool!
Yep. Summer is just around the corner…and you know what that means……HOTLANTA! Whew! 90 something everyday! I walk out at 7am on my way to my Midtown Atlanta office and think, “Man, can it just stay THIS temperature for the rest of the day?” It doesn’t happen. So, here’s a few tips for YOU to keep you cool in the upcoming hot days of the summer.
* Set your thermostat higher when away at work, or away on vacation. About 5 degrees will do it.
* Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or higher and forget it! By raising your temperature you could save about a $100 on your summer power bills
* Change your air conditioning filter. Whether you live in an older house in Historic Midtown Atlanta, or a new condominium, you’d be amazed at how dirty those guys get. And dirty means less efficiency, and making your a/c work harder. Set yourself a reminder on your calendar. (You should change your filter every other month!)
* Check your doors and windows for leaks. For our condo dwellers, newer buildings are pretty tight, but your older buildings might not be so. If you have cobwebs or high levels of dust, you probably have air leaks. (Shoot, I thought that was just from my extreme desire NOT to do house cleaning….)
* If in a single family home, be sure to make sure your outdoor condenser can “breathe” and is not covered up by landscape shrubs
*Have your system regularly serviced (usually spring and fall) to keep it at its peak performance. In Midtown Atlanta, we condo dwellers often forget that we have a unit somewhere (like maybe on the roof) that should be serviced. Of course this requires a bit of extra planning to the building maintenance people can get your a/c man on the roof.
Just a few cool tips to keep you cool in th upcoming Dog Days of Summer in Midtown Atlanta!