NEW! Fulton County Homestead Exemption NEW!
There is a NEW Senior Homestead Tax Exemption available for homeowners who are 65 or older, regardless of income, if your primary residence is in Fulton County.
This new age-based exemption was passed in November 2018 and is in addition to base homestead exemption but it requires an application (by April 1) to take effect in most cases to increase the amount of your homestead exemption and effectively lower total property taxes. The deadline to file for this new Senior Homestead Tax Exemption (or for any homestead exemption) is Monday April 1, 2019, to qualify for property tax relief in the current year.
Standard Rule: If primary residence then owner may qualify to exempt up to $30,000 of their home’s assessed value.
NEW IN FULTON – Homeowners over the age of 65 are now eligible for a new senior homestead exemption. It increases the base homestead exemption from $30,000 to $50,000. All homeowners over the age of 65 qualify, regardless of income.
ACTION NEEDED: If Owner already has another 65 and older homestead exemption, this will automatically apply. If not, they must apply online, in person, or by the April 1 deadline.
The following steps will help you file your homestead exemption online:
1. Go to: https://fultonassessor.org
2. Click on “Property Search”
3. Click on “Address Search”
4. Key in the property address, but leave off the suffix (ex: for 123 Main Street, you would enter 123 Main)
5. Click “Search” 6. When results are returned, click on the property owner’s name to be directed to the property profile.
7. On the Profile page, in the lower right-hand corner, the page will provide the Fulton County exemption code (FUL Exep Code).
8. If the FUL Exep Code ends in “S”, the property owner does not need to file (ex: HF01S), but if it does not end in “S,” the property owner will need to file by April 1.
9. To file, visit the following: https://fultonassessor.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2019/01/2019-HomesteadApplication-Revised.pdf to print out the form to take to the Assessor’s Office.
10. To file online, visit: https://iassmartfile.fultoncountyga.gov/
11. Either “Create an Account” or “Login”
12. Click “Homestead Exemption”
To file, the property owner will need the following information:
a. Georgia Driver’s License or valid Georgia identification (Owner and Spouse)
b. Social Security Number (Owner and Spouse)
c. Registration for all vehicles owned (vehicles must be registered to Fulton County)
d. Recorded Deed (for new owners only)
e. Trust Document and Affidavit (if the property is held in trust).
For further assistance, call (404) 612-6440 x 4 or visit:
Peachtree Center North Tower (Main Office) 235 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30303
Fulton County Government Center 141 Pryor Street, Suite 1018 Atlanta, GA 30303-3487
Alpharetta Service Center 11575 Maxwell Road Alpharetta, GA 30009
North Service Center 7741 Roswell Road NE, Suite 210 Atlanta, GA 30350
South Service Center 5600 Stonewall Tell Road, Suite 224 College Park, GA 30349