Owning a home can be one of the most important parts of a satisfying lifestyle. The joy of coming home to someplace you can call your very own offers security and comfort. Yet owning a home comes with responsibilities as well; maintaining the home in proper condition is critical to avoid larger problems later. Let’s look at 5 Maintenance Skills All Homeowners Should Know.
And yes, this applies to condo owners as well.
While some people are handier than others, here are 5 maintenance skills anyone can master.
1. How to Turn off Your Gas and Water –If you smell gas or have a water leak, taking quick action to shut off the source to the home while you wait for a professional can save thousands of dollars, and even lives. When you purchased your home or condo, this may have been pointed out to you during your home inspection. These are key things to know. If you have a dishwasher or washing machine that won’t stop filling, you can turn off all the water at the main shutoff to stop any flooding, or at least minimize it. With gas, of course you want to avoid any potential explosion and/or getting sick from the fumes.
2. Understanding How Electricity Is Fed to Your Home –Learn how to reset GFI outlets and popped breakers at the panel to avoid expensive house calls. Check out this YouTube video!
3. How to Find a Wall Stud – Avoid drywall repair when hanging pictures or shelves. Here is one on Amazon!
4. How to Change Your Air Filters – Keep your air fresh and your HVAC systems running efficiently. Know the size of your filter, and have extras on hand. You can change your filter as often as you desire, but many recommend every other month. Some systems say every 6 months, but that could be to long.
5. How to Address Simple Plumbing – From fixing a running toilet to recaulking the shower, simple plumbing related issues can save money in service calls and damage.
A quick visit to the local big box home supply store or afternoon online watching repair videos can help any homeowner tackle a few simple do-it-yourself tasks around the house. Learning a few basic maintenance skills will ensure you and your loved ones are safe and you’ll help your home stay in top condition.
If we can help you find a handyman to help with these issues, let us know. We also have plumbers and HVAC contacts should you find a problem is bigger than what you may be comfortable handling.