Winter Driving Tips
In the next week or so, many will take to the highways for the holidays. Off to visit family and friends, people will choose to drive so they can get all those holiday presents to their destination, along with the family. But driving during this time of year means taking extra steps in a majority of the U.S. states.
The American Automobile Association has some winter driving tips:
- Pack your cell phone with your local AAA’s telephone number plus the number of people you are planning to visit, plus blankets, gloves, hats, food, water and any needed medication in your vehicle. Keep your cell phone connected to it’s car charger to keep it fully charged in case you no longer have power in your car!
- If you become stuck, stay with your vehicle. It provides temporary shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to locate you. Don’t try to walk in a severe storm. It’s easy to lose sight of your vehicle in blowing snow and become lost.
- Pack a cellular telephone with your local AAA’s telephone number, plus blankets, gloves, hats, food, water and any needed medication in your vehicle.
You can read more of their tips at AAA Exchange, Winter Driving Tips.
Also, during this time of year, things are hectic for everyone. Rushing to get shopping and holiday preparations done, holiday parties, and of course, the long distance trip we talked about above. Remember these other important tips:
- Keep your eyes on the road. Dialing your phone, programming a GPS, etc all take away from your primary function when driving….paying attention to the road. Remember, texting and driving in Georgia is against the law!
- Leave some space between you and the car in front of you. You might be paying attention, but maybe they are not. In fact, try to “look through the car in front of you” for what may be happening in front of them…like brake lights!
Thomas Ramon Realty wishes you and yours the safest of travels this holiday season. In fact, we will be on the road to New York City and will be keeping these winter driving tips in mind as we hit the road!